CELEBRATING EMERITUS CHAIR WILLIAM LASICA
08.05.1921 – 12.02.2012
Bill Lasica, L.L.M, B.COM, was CCP's first Chairperson contributing an astonishing 15 years to the Board. When the organisation outgrew its existing accommodation in 1992, CCP moved from Rathdowne Street to 205 Johnson Street. The move, overseen by Bill, was a giant step forward for CCP. In 2003 friends and colleagues joined Bill in supporting CCP's move to 404 George Street, through the establishment of the Bill Lasica long view, which is situated between CCP Galleries 1 and 2.
A respected commercial lawyer, Bill Lasica always counted amongst his clients a generous sprinkling of artists. An active participant in Australian public life, Bill was a founding board member of the Australian Centre for Contemporary Art and the founding Chairperson of the Bundanon Trust; a living art centre established by Arthur Boyd for the people of Australia. Bill Lasica and colleague Sandra Bardas were founding members of The Green Hills Foundation that created Worawa College, the first private residential school for Aboriginal children in Victoria. Each organisation thrives as a legacy to Bill's foresight and imagination.
We remember Bill with great fondness; his dedication to the arts and to Indigenous issues. Bill's knowledge of Australian culture and history was inspiring as was his love of beautiful food and wine and photography.
Bill passed away peacefully and is survived by an equally impressive family who also contribute to the public life of Australia.
Photo: Bill Lasica. Photograph by Pamela Morey-Nase
Last Updated 13 September 2012